Friday, August 05, 2005

I have seen the mountain top!


Photo taken by Lyn Topinka, 1984
Courtesy of USGS/Cascades Volcano Observatory


I am often asked for my opinion on many different subjects. Especially when it comes to nutrition and exercise. Having been an athlete for the first half of my life, I have become well versed in nutrition, physical fitness and living a particular lifestyle. But, as I begin the second half of my life I am forced to step back and re-evaluate. As age and, well, life grabs hold, even the best of us can get off track. I am no exception.

I have seen the mountain top (been extremely fit), been there and made it my home for many years. But, then I took my abilities and knowledge for granted. So much so, that I "flirted" with the cliff's edge upon that mountain top one too many times, and tumbled ALL THE WAY DOWN, becoming overweight and sedentary.

One day I looked in the mirror and didn't recognize the person looking back. At that moment, my life as I knew it, changed forever! I was no longer this physically fit person with the "killer" smile and wash board abs, I was a fading smile with a couple of chins and a washing MACHINE for abs to boot. As time went on my sorrow and self pity grew into border lined depression. I had hit bottom and was tumbling towards that GIANT CREVASSE (for you Eiger Sanction types) or CHASM (for you Hawaiian Volcanoe types), that had opened up in the earth at sea level (I live in California). When suddenly a faint voice broke through all of that murky darkness of "obesity oblivion" and grabbed hold of my hand and pulled me back from certain dispair. The voice was that of my wife. I will never forget the day or time when I heard it. Nor will I forget what she said. She said, "I think it is time for both of us to start getting back into shape, will you help me?" Just as suddenly as my tumble down that mountain began a few years ago, 4 to 5 to be exact, so to, had it abruptly stopped.
I got up dusted myself off and am currently 3/4 of the way back up the mountain. Man, is it a long, steep mountain. But I am climbing none-the-less.

I used to look at people who were over-weight not in disgust or a discriminatory fashion, but one of being perplexed. I just didn't understand that if certain people were that unhappy with being overweight, then why didn't they do something about it? BOY, DID I HAVE A RUDE AWAKENING! As I am currently on the come-back trail to optimal health, being overweight is extremely tough. Everything changes, your emotional, mental, and physical well-being all literally SHUT DOWN! You become literally trapped within yourself with every aspect of your personal life working against you. I have a newly found respect for people battling being over-weight and obesity.

Perhaps, life was trying to teach me something. Which is why I do all I can to help educate anyone looking for answers. I have been at the bottom of the mountain fighting the "weight" battle and I have to tell you, anyone, AND I MEAN ANYONE who stays down there too long inevitably loses that battle. As long as it is within my power, that is one place that I shall never return. And as long as I am able, I will help anyone looking to ascend "their" mountain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home