Monday, June 13, 2005

Fats & Cholesterol - The Good, The Bad, and The Healthy Diet

Recently I posted an article on "Lowering Cholesterol Parts I and II". Which were my two most recent posts. After further research, I feel, that I cannot explain properly the facts that need to be discussed within an abbreviated posting forum. It would require too many lengthy posts to explain this subject properly, so, I have since deleted them. Posting an abridged (abbreviated) version of fats and cholesterol facts and how they affect your health would leave out too many of the details which leaves too much open for interpretation. The mission of this blog is to provide resources, products and information so that you can make the choices that are right for you. To Live Better Longer!
That said, the subject of "Fats and Cholesterol" do hit home. My wife recently had blood work done and found out that she has extremely high cholesterol. The doctor called with the results and already has a prescription for cholesterol lowering medication waiting. This doctor has never even met my wife and knows nothing of her medical history and has told her to go get the "meds" and start before they meet tomorrow 06/14/05. Needless to say my wife is a stereo-typical candidate for running high cholesterol. You know? Overweight, "junk food junkie", sedentary, no fruits and vegetables, etc., etc. Yeah, I know what your thinking. If I am so into the health scene, why is my wife the way she is? Long story short. I am the last person who can tell here anything. If a "ho bo" walking down the street told her the sky was falling and I said, "nah babe that was just a car backfiring", you can best believe she would be running for cover shouting "the sky is falling"!
To my wife's credit, we have had a heart-to-heart about her health. And I am very proud to say that she has started to listen to me. In fact, I have her on a regimen of more physical activity and WAY HEALTHIER eating habits! She has been doing it for 2 weeks now and has already lost nearly 7 pounds. I explained to her what I know about lowering cholesterol with exercise and proper nutrition v.s. statins (cholesterol lowering drugs), so, she is heading to the hospital tomorrow, not to pick up her prescription, but to let the doctor know that she is going to wait on the drugs. She wants to try exercise and healthy nutrition to see if that will lower her cholesterol without the drugs.
So, this all important subject of fats and cholesterol should be explained in great detail, so as to leave out any room for interpretation. It is that important, but you wouldn't know it by the way the media reports it or by the FDA, BUT, that is another story. In the mean time, here is an article from the Harvard School of Public Health, which explains in great detail, "fats and cholesterol" and its' affect on your health.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home